Between five and six acres of ground was purchased in 1865 from Elisha
King Bowman (1824-1904), son of Elisha (1788-1859)and Sallie King Bowman
(1789-1856). Elisha, Sr. served in the War of 1812 and his father had
served in the Revoluntary War.
The Spring Cemetery Association was incorporated in February 1886.
The first burial was in August 1877. However, there are individuals
buried in the cemetery who died earlier and were moved into the cemetery
at a later date. There are also a few individuals who were buried in
this cemetery but have been moved elsewhere.
The monument in the center located on a mound 30 feet in diameter and
six feet high, was erected in memory of the Civil War soldiers who gave
their lives for the country. It was erected in 1870 with funds raised
by voluntary contributions and the following names are inscribed on
three sides: G. W. Beach; S. S. Bloom; E. M. Bannister; Clemence
Unthank; P. L. Booth; Americus Smith; John Larkham; W. H. Terrill; B. F.
Clark; B. Welsh; Eli Joslin; Thomas Cornell; Fred K. Bolard, Jr.; G. A.
Neventhuysen; Alexander Lowry; William White; G. D. Doty; Jacob Frantz;
David Paddock; Isaac Baldwin, Jr.; T. P. Swap; James Jenks; A. A.
Sheldon; N. B. Gray; and Vioron M. Leasure.
The Spring Cemetery Association provided the historical society with
their cemetery records for inclusion in this cemetery listing. We are
Layout of Spring Cemetery